When you decide to learn a skilled trade, there are several trades you can learn. Pipefitters work in many different industries from commercial and residential to manufacturing plants and oil refineries.
Here are six reasons why you should consider a pipefitting career.
- The pipefitting field is growing. Through 2022, pipefitting and plumbing fields are expected to grow 21 percent. This is faster than the average growth rate of other fields. Currently, there are not enough pipefitters to sustain the industry growth, which is good news for those considering becoming a pipefitter.
- The career is steady. With a faster than average projected industry growth rate, there is plenty of work for a pipefitter. They can work in any field from residential to commercial to industrial.
- You could start earning money quickly. Instead of attending a 4-year college, you can attend a technical training program. These programs will help you gain field experience and enter the field quickly. To become a pipefitter, most people start out with no experience as an apprentice. After 5 years of training, you can be a highly skilled valuable professional.
- The position pays well. As a pipefitter apprentice, you can start earning money while you are training to be a pipefitter. The average pipefitting apprentice in Michigan makes $34,850. While the average Michigan salary for a pipefitter is $75,200. The return on investment is pretty high considering the cost of a typical 4-year college degree.
- You can increase your salary with overtime work. While you will enjoy a steady 40-hour work week, you will also be able to work in the evenings and on weekends for overtime. With a high demand for pipefitters, especially in the oil and gas industries, there will be ample opportunities for overtime work.
- You could receive excellent benefits. Most pipefitting jobs provide excellent benefits including paid time off and health insurance. The access to these benefits can enhance your quality of life.
As the industry grows and the demand for pipefitters, pipefitting is an excellent career choice for anyone who is interested in a steady career that is both personally and financially rewarding.
At Lee Contracting, we offer our customers turn-key solutions for plant projects. We have our own in-house staff of electricians, pipefitters, HVAC installers, fabricators and more. We currently have several open skilled trades positions available. Apply today: https://leecontracting.wpengine.com/careers/