Lockout/tagout refers to the procedures which keep employees safe from energized machinery and equipment.
Why are lockout/tagout procedures so important? Lockout devices hold energy-isolation devices in a safe or off position. They provide protection by preventing machines or equipment from becoming energized because they are positive restraints that cannot be removed without a key. Tagout devices are prominent warning devices that an authorized individual fastens to energy isolating devices to warn employees not to reenergize the machine.
If these procedures are not followed, employees can be seriously injured. At Lee we follow all OSHA standards to ensure the safety of our employees. How do we make sure our employees are safe? We follow our safety manual and hold mandatory training seminars upon employment. Some of our requirements are:
- Each authorized employee has the proper number of locks and devices to be able to perform proper lockout/tagout for the machines and equipment that they may be working on.
- All lockout or tag out devices must be affixed to each energy isolating device and indicate the name of the employee applying the device.
- Lockout devices must be affixed in a manner to hold the energy isolating device in a safe or off position.
- Tag out devices used with energy isolating devices with the capability of being locked out shall be fastened at the same point at which the lock would have been attached. If a tag cannot be directly attached to the energy isolation device it shall be located as close as safely as possible to the device in a position that will be immediately obvious to anyone attempting to operate the device.
- Each energy source must be locked out completely isolating the equipment.
These are only some of the items we follow to prevent injury. In keeping with our pledge to safety and health, we employ a safety manager with extensive experience in the development and maintenance of world-class programs. Our safety manager works closely with administrative and field personnel to ensure the company meets or exceeds safety regulations. With our mix of highly experienced safety representatives and our safety policies, we provide first-class services and first-class safety to our customers.
Learn more about our safety department today.
Call us today to request a free quote on your next industrial project, (888) 833-8776.